Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF) emerged from the front yard lemonade stand of 4-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Scott, who was fighting cancer and wanted to raise money to find cures for all children with cancer. Her spirit and determination inspired others to support her cause, and when she passed away at the age of 8, she had raised $1 million. Since then, the Foundation bearing her name has evolved into a national fundraising movement. Today, ALSF is one of the leading funders of pediatric cancer research in the U.S. and Canada raising more than $200 million so far, funding over 1,000 research projects and providing programs to families affected by childhood cancer. For more information, visit AlexsLemonade.org.
Major Gifts Officer
The Major Gifts Officer is a member of the Foundation’s fundraising team who cultivates and leads the major gift development activities to raise funds to change the lives of children with cancer and their families. The major gifts officer’s efforts are focused on the identification, cultivation, stewardship and retention of individual donors who commit to major gifts. Reports directly to the Executive Director of the Foundation. Serves as a member of the Foundation’s development team, which includes many areas of individual giving. Primarily an externally facing individual contributor role. Responsible for the operational execution and success of the major gifts program and its coordination with the development team.
ALSF is headquartered in Philadelphia. Our team is currently working remote during the COVID pandemic but will return to in-person when it is has been deemed safe to do so. Therefore, we are seeking a candidate based in the Philadelphia area.
Key functions and responsibilities:
- Builds and leads the Foundation’s major gift program; meeting with donors and responding to inquiries to develop major gifts as a critical component of the Foundation’s strategic fundraising plan.
- Conducts donor discovery through research and data mining to identify, contact, solicit and steward major gift prospects to meet measurable goals, including developing and executing a full range of donor cultivation activities.
- Represents the Foundation to donors; may develop and make presentations, as needed.
- Regularly informs Foundation leadership of major gifts fundraising performance as compared to budgeted projections.
- Answers current and prospective donor inquiries; maintains relationships with existing donors through regular contact, providing reports and statements; oversees donor recognition events and data collections activities.
- Works with the development team to recognize major gift donors and promote interaction with major gift prospects.
- Writes correspondence, reports, proposals and marketing materials; enters data in the donor database and assures accurate electronic and hard copy files of major gift donors and prospects.
- Ensures that all major gift activities comply with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing non-profit business operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fundraising: Considerable knowledge of major gift fundraising. Skill in successfully predicting donor enthusiasm and willingness to commit to major giving. Skill in identifying and interacting with prospective donors, cultivating current donors and coordinating activities with colleague fundraisers. Knowledge of legal recordkeeping requirements for fundraising and documentation of donations.
- Interpersonal/Communications: Energetic, enthusiastic, rapport-building people person with skill in building and sustaining relationships; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve results. Ability to work independently, and on a team, and successfully meet goals and objectives. Excellent writer and presenter, with the ability to inspire commitment and action in others. Demonstrates genuine caring for children with cancer and motivated to help them and their families.
- Organizational/Financial: Business and financial acumen. Skill in using word processing and spreadsheet software, as well as major gift giving and/or fundraising software. Ability to research and analyze large sets of data. Self-motivated, well organized and detail oriented.
Education and Experience
- Four or more years of experience with a proven fundraising track record in major gifts, preferably in a non-profit organization or academic setting.
- Previous success in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and closing 5 and 6-figure gifts from individual donors.
- Must possess initiative, leadership, creative energy, well-refined organizational skills, strong interpersonal skills, ability to take risks, resilience, negotiating skills and proven fundraising expertise.
- Highest sensitivity and judgement with regard to the needs of families of seriously ill children.
- Ability to relate at all levels across the organization.
- Intellectual depth, maturity, judgement, and professionalism to earn the trust and confidence of donors, leadership, and co-workers.
- Ability to persuasively promote the Foundation’s impact on advancing cures and supporting families whose children have cancer.
- Effectively communicate with donors about research areas, projects, general state of pediatric cancer research and the needs of families.
- Organizational skills involving administrative processes and in working with colleagues and support staff.
- Ability to work as an integral part of a team.
- Microsoft Office and database experience required. NetSuite experience preferred.
- A sincere appreciation for people and how they are each uniquely motivated.
- Poised and engaging, empathetic communications style based on natural warmth and enthusiasm.
- Fast-paced and results oriented with the ability to work in a timely manner with multiple deadlines and competing requirements.
- Strong written, presentation, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to relate well to individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstration of good judgement, professionalism and the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- Travel required.
If this sounds like an ideal position to you, please submit your resume along with an amazing cover letter describing your interest and why you are the right fit for ALSF and the position to [email protected]. Please note only candidates who submit cover letters with resumes will be considered.