Update 1/2016: Thank you to everyone for your support! We are taking on the NYC Marathon next. If you would like to donate to team Summer Strong, please visit our new page: https://www.alexslemonade.org/mypage/1216508
Update 12/2015 : Unfortunately, some changes in Summer's treatment plan are preventing her from traveling down to Florida for the race. Our team will be a few runners smaller, but we still have plenty of excited runners racing in honor of her. Summer is planning a trip for a few months from now when she is feeling better.
We are the highest fundraising group for Team Lemon, so thank you to everyone that helped make that possible!
In April 2015, our then 7 month old healthy little girl, Summer, was diagnosed with Hepatoblastoma (pediatric liver cancer). These past few months have been a scary rollercoaster of surgeries and treatments, but our little Summer has always kept a smile on her face, which has helped us keep a smile on ours.
Even though she is making these treatments look easy (treatments that would knock most adults on their butt), we definitely felt like we needed to give her some well-deserved time with Mickey Mouse. We wanted to do more than just that though, so this year, in Summer's honor, we are joining up with Team Lemon for the Walt Disney World Marathon to help Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation. We are going 26.2 miles to show our support for Summer, a small feat compared to what she has already taken on herself! We are looking forward to your support to meet our fund raising goal and appreciate your encouragement as we train for our race!
Summer is just one of an estimated 263,000 new cases of cancer that affect children under the age of 20 worldwide every year. And yet, childhood cancer is vastly and consistently underfunded. Less than 5% of the federal government's total funding for cancer research is dedicated to childhood cancers each year. The money you donate will pay for research to find better treatments and cures for childhood cancer.
Thanks for your support!
Curious how much to donate?
Your gift could lead to a crucial discovery or even a cure for childhood cancer…
- Your gift of $50 will fund one hour of research
- A gift of $400 will fund one day of research
- A gift of $2,000 will fund a week of research
- A generous gift of $8,000 will pay for an entire month of research
ALSF also has a Travel For Care Program that helps families with travel expenses as they travel far from their home for their child's treatments:
- $15 can provide a gas card to help a family drive to a hospital for treatment.
- $20 allows a family to park at the hospital where their child is receiving treatment.
- $100 enables a family to reside at a nearby hotel so they can stay close to their child receiving treatment.
- Any size helps ease a family’s financial burden so they can focus on their child’s treatment.