Now open to all institutions in the U.S. and Canada!
Financial aid provided by Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation is made possible with the support of TD Bank, Northwestern Mutual and other private donors. Please review the guidelines below before applying. Please keep in mind that the Travel for Care Program is not meant to be the sole source of travel assistance for a family.
Click here for a PDF version of these guidelines.
The following criteria must be met:
- The patient is 21 years old or younger, and diagnosed on or before their 18th birthday
- The patient is diagnosed with cancer, or a cancer predisposition such as Histiocytosis/Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis (LCH), Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), or Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorders (PTLD)
- The patient’s annual family income should not be greater than $75,000
- The patient must currently be in active treatment for childhood cancer
Things to know before applying:
- Travel For Care processes assistance on a per request basis up to the $2,000 lifetime cap per patient
- The program prepays travel expenses; we are unable to reimburse travel expenses
- Assistance begins at the time of approval and is not retroactive
- At this time, travel assistance is only available within the US and Canada
What we do not assist with:
- Travel for second opinions, integrative therapy, follow up appointments after active treatment, and non-cancer treatments (dentist, PT, etc.)
- Expenses that are not travel related (mortgage, rent, utilities, childcare, etc.)
- Travel for visits from additional family members
We only accept applications by a member of the patient’s oncology healthcare team (i.e. social worker, nurse, doctor, resource specialist, etc). All sections of the form must be completed truthfully. Any false or misleading information will result in an automatic denial.
*For Hotel Requests:
- Family must reside more than 2 hours or 100 miles from treatment facility.
- ALSF will cover room and tax only; incidentals will need to be covered by the hospital or family.
*For Airfare Requests:
- ALSF covers the airfare for the patient and one caregiver (unless patient requires additional assistance)
- Airfare applications MUST include: full legal names and birthdates of both travelers, departure airport, and anticipated dates of travel
- Please indicate if there are special accommodations needed for the patient upon arrival to the airport (i.e. wheelchair assistance)
*For Gas Card Requests:
- Gas card assistance is approved for driving the patient to/from active cancer treatment
- Monthly mileage to/from treatment must exceed 700 miles per month or $100 per month
- Assistance is determined based on # miles per round trip /20 (avg mileage per gallon) x local cost of gas
- Indicating the best address to send the gas cards to will streamline processing times
We understand that time is of the essence for many children and their families, so we do our best to review and respond to all requests within 1 business day. For emergency requests, please call the foundation directly. Assistance requests for previously approved applicants can be found under the application on our website.
ALSF reserves the right to change these guidelines at any time without notice, and to apply these guidelines at its reasonable discretion. If you have any questions, please call Brenna Carswell, Family Services Manager, at 610-649-3034 or e-mail [email protected].