After being diagnosed with a Hepatoblastoma/ Hepatic Rhabdoid tumor (high risk pediatric liver cancer), Summer fought bravely for a year and a half before passing away in September 2016. Our time together had been a scary rollercoaster of surgeries and high intensity treatments, but our little Summer always kept a smile on her face, which helped us keep a smile on ours.
In honor of our sweet, strong, beautiful Summer, we will be taking on the NYC Half Marathon this March. We are going 13.1 miles to honor Summer, a small feat compared to what she had taken on in her short time with us. We are looking forward to your support to meet our fund raising goal and appreciate your encouragement as we train for our race!
Summer is just one of an estimated 263,000 new cases of cancer that affect children under the age of 20 worldwide every year. And yet, childhood cancer is vastly and consistently underfunded. Less than 5% of the federal government's total funding for cancer research is dedicated to childhood cancers each year. The money you donate will pay for research to find better treatments and cures for childhood cancer.
Thanks for your support!
Curious how much to donate?
Your gift could lead to a crucial discovery or even a cure for childhood cancer…
- Your gift of $50 will fund one hour of research
- A gift of $400 will fund one day of research
- A gift of $2,000 will fund a week of research
- A generous gift of $8,000 will pay for an entire month of research
ALSF also has a Travel For Care Program that helps families with travel expenses as they travel far from their home for their child's treatments:
- $15 can provide a gas card to help a family drive to a hospital for treatment.
- $20 allows a family to park at the hospital where their child is receiving treatment.
- $100 enables a family to reside at a nearby hotel so they can stay close to their child receiving treatment.
- Any size helps ease a family’s financial burden so they can focus on their child’s treatment.