In addition to funding research to find a cure for childhood cancer, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF) also seeks ways to make a difference for families touched by the disease. We currently provide support in the form of treatment journals, transportation and lodging expenses, as well as an online educational center where parents, teens and kids can learn about the many aspects cancer.
Now, we are planning an event to bring live, up-to-date information to support the community. On Saturday, June 27th 2009, ALSF will be holding our first Childhood Cancer Symposium at the Marriott Courtyard in downtown Philadelphia. This free, one day event is designed to be an educational resource to help families of childhood cancer. It is being organized in response to the growing need of families to learn about the many issues related to diagnosis and treatment. Attendees will also have the opportunity to ask questions, meet other families, and equip themselves with the necessary tools and knowledge to fight childhood cancer. Our program was designed to have something to offer to every family - those with children who are survivors, still undergoing treatment, or have passed away.
A glimpse of our Symposium’s program
- Receive insight on how cancer affects every member of the family
- Voice their fertility concerns and learn about their child’s options
- Learn how to deal with their grief
- Participate in simple mind-body exercises to reduce stress and anxiety
- Gain knowledge about long term treatment complications and potential health risks for survivors
- Participate in a support group
- Learn about clinical trials
- Learn ways to help their other children, including dealing with sibling jealousy
Though we cannot take cancer away, we can fight it, we can support the families, we can bring them together and we can help empower them. This is what we aim to do on June 27th, 2009. Please visit our website for more details on how to benefit from this event: http://www.AlexsLemonade.org/special-events/symposium-childhood-cancer
For questions, please contact [email protected]