By: Trish Adkins
Held each September, The Million Mile is a month-long fundraising challenge to benefit childhood cancer research. Whether you are a casual walker or jogger, an avid cyclist or a marathoner, YOU can make a difference in the lives of children fighting cancer.
This year, you can help raise $1 million and fund thousands of hours of innovative research and give hope to children waiting on cures. One million dollars is a huge goal, but together we can do it! To help you out, we’ve assembled some of our favorite ways to fundraise!
1. Join The Million Mile 2019! It all starts here with your registration. You can join a team, start a team or sign up as an individual.
2. Make the first donation. When you sign up, set your fundraising goal and make the very first donation. Your donation will inspire others to give.
3. Set a goal and make a plan for how to achieve it. Our accountant Rob Schuster shared his tips for reaching his TMM financial and mileage goals here.
4. Be Bold! Go Gold! Wear your favorite Childhood Cancer Awareness t-shirt (available in our gift shop!) and when people comment on your attire, tell them all about your team and your fundraising goals.
5. Ask friends to sponsor you for every mile you go. Set your mileage goal at registration and ask friends to donate 50 cents or $1 per mile!
6. Maximize company matching programs. Several companies match employee donations to their charity of choice. Check if your company matches donations and ask other supporters to do the same.
7. Motivate yourself to raise more by looking at our leaderboard. A little friendly competition between teams is a great motivator! Check the leaderboard to see where you stand!
8. Host a lemonade stop. The hot summer is the perfect time for a lemonade stand stop! Host a stop in the middle or end of your running group’s weekly run and ask for donations for your team. This is also a great way to grab some more team members.
9. Set up a competition within your team to do the most fundraising before September 1. Make the prize a home-cooked meal for the winner or lawn mowing services or simply bragging rights.
10. Share on your social media. Set your goal and share on your social media pages with your entire network. Be sure to include the link to your TMM donation page.
11. Host a restaurant fundraiser. Ask local restaurants to host a fundraising night and donate a portion of the day’s sales to your team.
12. Have a direct sales party! Everyone knows someone who sells makeup or jewelry or leggings or candles! Ask your direct sales friends to host a fundraiser and donate the host rewards to your team.
13. Get baking! Host a bake sale at work or at your children’s daycare, day camp or school.
14. Ask and inspire your friends, colleagues and family. Send out an email about your goal and ask for donations. Tell your network the story of Alex Scott, inspire them with other childhood cancer hero stories and share why childhood cancer research is important to you.
15. Host a neighborhood lemonade stand! Plan and schedule a lemonade stand in your front yard, at a park or at a community event! Lemonade stands are a great way to raise awareness, funds and recruit more teammates.
Bonus: Go further for kids with cancer as a Gold Medal Miler. Opt into the Challenge during registration, and commit to walk/run 100 miles or cycle 300 miles, and raise $2000 for Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation. Gold Medal Milers receive personalized fundraising coaching, a page badge, shout outs for reaching milestones and more. For more info, contact coach Chris Katt at [email protected].
We can't wait to see how far we will go together!