By: Rachel Adams and Kathryn Messinger, A.C. Moore Craftologists
A cool, tall glass of lemonade on a hot day tastes pretty good—but nothing tastes as sweet as giving back feels. Use your creativity to host a fundraiser for Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF)!
Alexandra “Alex” Scott set up her front yard lemonade stand when she was just 4 years old, raising more than $2,000 that she gave to doctors so that they could find cures for all children battling cancer.
Today, ALSF has funded hundreds of research projects across the United States and Canada and has established support programs for families seeking cutting-edge treatments for their children.
Kids across the country host fundraisers during the first week in June for Lemonade Days, but you can run a lemonade stand any time of year. Here are some of our craftiest tips and ideas for making your DIY lemonade stand extra-successful!
1. Register your event and check out the free downloads on the ALSF website!
2. Marketing: Get the word out with signs for the neighborhood. Use poster board and stickers to create your own, or download a free lemonade sign that you can print, personalize, color and copy to post around town.
3. The Stand: Set up your selling stand using a card table or other small portable table, then dress it for success with a bright yellow tablecloth (or choose a bright blue – it looks great with yellow lemons and lemonade!) Try to find a table cover that goes all the way to the ground so you can hide extra supplies under the table. Feeling super crafty? Build your own stand with wooden crates.
4. Decorate: Help draw attention to your stand with balloons. Having decorations up high helps people see your stand from farther away. One way to add extra taste appeal is to fill a basket with lemons, add a pretty bow and put it on your table. Doesn’t your mouth start watering as soon as you look at lemons?!
5. Great Taste: Pour your lemonade into a drink dispenser with ice and lemon slices to make it look fresh and extra appetizing. Keep ice and supplies in a cooler under your table for quick refills!
6. Snacks: What goes perfect with lemonade? Cupcakes of course! Use pretty paper liners that coordinate with your decorations.
7. Be a Team Player: Running a lemonade stand is even more fun with friends! You can make T-shirts, hats or aprons for your staff for an extra professional touch and a keepsake of your special event.
8. The Pitch: Write and rehearse your “elevator speech.” Memorize a few sentences to tell your customers about Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation and why it’s important to you.
9. Cash box: Keep your donation money in a safe, central location. Everyone should be able to recognize your cash box and reach it easily to deposit funds and make change if necessary.
10. Serving and Clean-Up: Use eco-friendly paper straws and cups or consider reusable glass jars and bottles for serving lemonade. Make sure you have a wastepaper basket handy to collect any trash, and a roll of paper towels in case of spills.
Since 2013, A.C. Moore Arts & Crafts has partnered with Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation to raise funds in support of childhood cancer research. With the help of our generous customers, A.C. Moore has raised more than $683,000 for ALSF, which has funded more than 13,500 hours of childhood cancer research. Visit A.C. Moore stores from June 2-15, 2019 to donate at checkout to help put the squeeze on childhood cancer! Learn more about the partnership at acmoore.com/alexs-lemonade.