Childhood Cancer

Childhood Brain and Spinal Cord Tumors

Individual Health Care Plan (IHCP)

If your child has any medical needs that must be managed at school (e.g., management of seizures, headaches, shunts, or medication), your child’s doctor should write a letter to the principal with written orders for care. The school nurse will develop an IHCP to ensure that your child’s medical needs are appropriately managed at school. The IHCP is incorporated into either an IEP or Section 504 Plan, and it includes a brief medical history, medications and side effects, student health goals, clear descriptions of health services that will be provided by the school, and contact numbers for emergencies. Parents and school personnel must sign the plan before it is implemented, and it should be updated every year.