by Trish Adkins
Starting with her very first lemonade stand, Alexandra “Alex” Scott, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF) founder, sparked a movement—a movement not only to help sick kids get better and find cures for childhood cancer; but one that would inspire and call on each one of us to work together.
Over the last 13 years, childhood cancer heroes and their families, donors, volunteers, and of course, researchers have come together for one goal: cures for childhood cancer.
At ALSF, we have learned that curing childhood cancer is not just a product of fundraising or volunteering or even the result of a breakthrough that happens in a lab. It is not just one successful treatment for one child or one donation that makes cures possible.
Curing childhood cancer is a combination of all of these elements and the people working together for one purpose that will save generations of children. At ALSF, our mission began with Alex’s front yard lemonade stand and has driven us on the path toward cures.
To accomplish this enormous mission of helping all children have access to safe, more effective treatments and cures, we need a formula. This is our Formula for Cures:
Our Formula for Cures begins and ends with the inspiration of people everywhere and in-between it requires an approach that empowers each one of us to make a difference. We work together to:
- Select the most promising projects through a rigorous scientific review process conducted by ALSF’s Scientific Advisory and Review Boards, comprised of more than 70 scientists that review every grant application received.
- Encourage innovative collaboration between researchers that speeds up the rate of breakthroughs—ensuring that researchers are engaged throughout all stages of their careers to share information and work together.
- Accelerate breakthrough research by cutting down the time it takes for projects to go from bench to bedside, bringing safer treatments to children every single day.
- Provide immediate impact to families through ALSF’s Family Services program that helps families travel to clinical trials and provides support to heroes, siblings and parents.
- Invest in technology that gives researchers access to cutting-edge tools and decades of data available through ALSF’s Childhood Cancer Data Lab.
- Encourage supporters to take a stand against childhood cancer by offering ways to support the families impacted by this disease as well as the research community who continues to search for cures.
- Draw on the inspiration of supporters, researchers and the children battling childhood cancer to do all these things, one cup at a time.
This is ALSF’s Formula for Cures.
Click through the slideshow, above, to see this Formula in action. Want to be part of the movement to find cures for childhood cancer? Find out more here.