Team Building Sessions
Students will spend time engaging in hands-on team building exercises with the purpose of building a team foundation for the students to utilize not only during the academy but to continue using these in their leadership roles with ALSF. The team building sessions will focus on skills such as collaboration, communication, leadership styles, and decision making.
This introductory session allows students to gain a basic understanding of leadership styles and empowering others.
Leadership Skill Building Sessions: Learn. Lead Sessions
Participants will rotate through several skill building sessions - sometimes as a large group and sometimes in smaller groups. These sessions will be “hands on” where the students will learn the skills through engagement. The following skill building sessions will be included in the program:
- Fundraising Skill Building – identifying and understanding how to run a fundraiser
- Effective Meetings – how to host and inspire peers to achieve goals in a meeting
- Presentation Skills – how to utilize several techniques to successfully engage others to join the fight against childhood cancer.
- Leadership styles – identifying a personal leadership approach to better understand how to work with others
- Leadership Personal Assessment – identifying personal strengths and how to use these strengths to grow and lead Lemon Clubs
Students will be placed in Stand Teams to create fundraising efforts for the Alex Lemonade Stand Foundation. This will allow them to see first hand how to run an event. They can then incorporate their information into their project plans for after the Academy.
ALSF provides speakers who can share their leadership stories. Suggested speakers could include current SLA participants and alumni, hero families, researchers, doctors and nurses.
SLA participants will work together in teams to brainstorm new and creative ideas for fundraisers that support the mission of ALSF. They will work on their capstone projects throughout the leadership academy and will present their projects in an expo format on the last day.
Additional Evening Programming
In the evening, the students will participate in additional learning sessions as well as do fun programming such as “minute to win it” and karaoke night.